An American in Ulsan

An electronic account of the life and times of the author as EFL instructor outside of Ulsan, South Korea.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Tension Release

Yesterday I got my first massage in Korea (in fact, my first massage ever). Having never been for a massage before, I have nothing to compare the experience to, but I can say that it was quite relaxing. Everywhere I travel in Ulsan, I always see signs for "Sports Massages" with a pictures of feet on it. I randomly chose a spot near the Hyundai Department Store in Samsandong and hope for the best. I just recently learned the names of the body parts in Korean class, so I was able to explain to the masseuse, who spoke no English, that my back was hurting. I paid 70,000 won for the hour and a half treatment and she handed me a toothbrush a led me to the shower. After showering, brushing my teeth, and changing into more comfortable clothes, she led me into one of the rooms and laid me face down on the table. The massage itself was performed with both hands and feet, which was a little strange (that must be why there is a foot on the business sign). She worked the tension out of (almost) literally my entire body, from my scalp to my toes. Although I couldn't understand most of what she was saying, I think she was trying to explain that I had a lot of tension in my stomach muscles and that that made my neck, shoulders and lower back tense as well. After a rub-down with something like Ben-Gay and steaming hot towels, I felt rejuvenated. I had been a bit skeptical before my visit, but I have to say it was completely worth it and that I feel much better now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home