An American in Ulsan

An electronic account of the life and times of the author as EFL instructor outside of Ulsan, South Korea.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Pop Star Wars

I've meant to post this for a while now and keep forgetting to. Stephen Colbert is a bit hit or miss these days, but this particular bit is a major hit in my opinion, especially if you know anything about contemporary Korean pop music. The premise of this clip is that Colbert was named the second most influential personality on an on-line Time magazine poll behind the ever-so-popular, ever-so-typical Korean R&B singer, Bi (a.k.a. Rain, who I like to call "the Korean Usher"). The perceived slight prompts Colbert to prove (as only Colbert can) that he is a better Korean pop star than Rain could ever be. I had personally never heard of Rain before coming here, where, like any Korean celebrity, he is televisually ubiquitous. However, apparently Rain has a following in the States, and even sold out Madison Square Garden, or so I hear. Anyway, the Colbert clip is especially funny to me because of the research he much have done for it. He actually sings in Korean, although it is even worse than my Korean! But the joke about the bibimbap at the end is classic. It's an old clip, but I thought I'd share it here with anyone who may not have seen it yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home