An American in Ulsan

An electronic account of the life and times of the author as EFL instructor outside of Ulsan, South Korea.

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Gajisan

Yesterday, my director and I went for our last hiking adventure together as employer and employee, as he will be retiring from the hagwon next week. Hopefully, we will be able to go hiking more in the future; he has introduced me to so many of Korea's beautiful mountains and to the outdoor adventuring culture that is so popular here. But this was a nice coda to our time together this year. He took me and two of his friends to Gajisan, the highest peak in the Yeongnam alps and one of the 12 scenic areas of Ulsan. I am always amazed by his stamina and the pace with which he hikes. Here is a 48 year old man who runs marathons and thinks nothing of attacking a 60 degree ascent! Initially, he wanted to take us on an eight-hour excursion, but at lunch it became evident that I was going to be a drag on the team as my body was giving way. I was coming down with a cold and suffering from exhaustion and even though I was willing to take on the Korean "Fighting!!" mentality and persevere, he took pity on me and changed our plan and instead took us to Sari-am, a small temple tucked away in the side of a mountain that is one of the three most famous temples in Korea where people visit to pray for their dreams to come true. Of course, not being a Buddhist, I didn't offer any prayers, but the view was incredible, even through the fog that had settled over the valley and the peaks. I am very thankful to have met my director; unlike many hagwon directors that I hear horror stories about, he is a truly generous and kind man who wants me to have a great experience in Korea, both in and out of the classroom.

2 Comments:

Blogger matteh said...

Hi There,
I used to live in Ulsan and wanted to climb Gajisan. Can you ask your director for a PDF scan of a map he might have? I'm trying to find out about path choices to the summit and where to start. Any help you could offer would be brilliant. Cheers, Matthew
matthew.b.golem@gmail.com

2/04/2009 05:19:00 PM  
Blogger TSF in Ulsan said...

Hey Matthew,

Unfortunately, I am not in touch with my old director anymore, and I live in California know. It's not the most accessible mountain... unless you have a car or take a taxi, it's very difficult to get to. There's a monastery (where I took that picture) that might be easy to find, but unfortunately I don't remember the name. Sorry to not be much help! But if you get a chance, definitely go there, it's a great hike, especially in fall.

2/06/2009 03:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home