An American in Ulsan

An electronic account of the life and times of the author as EFL instructor outside of Ulsan, South Korea.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

R.I.P. Clifford Geertz

I know I'm a couple of days late on this, but I felt I had to post something about the passing of Professor Geertz (thanks to Nell and Majid for bringing it to my attention; the death of an eminent American anthropologist isn't exactly big news in Korea). Although I didn't always agree with his writings (and I still think "Balinese Cockfight" simply points out the obvious), he was certainly one of the giants of the field and indirectly had a significant impact on my life and my decision to study Anthropology.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Ofurhe, a friend of your brother's. Just plowing through my requirements at the University of Chicago, and read some Geertz for my SOSC class...then he died.
Anyways, hope you have a great time in Korea, life here is cold and boring.

11/04/2006 07:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey roomie!
So if you go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessicahitch/ that's where all my photos are and you can grab any that you want! I've been trying to keep up on tags, but not so much so that it's a reliable way to see all the ones you want.

11/08/2006 11:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home