An American in Ulsan

An electronic account of the life and times of the author as EFL instructor outside of Ulsan, South Korea.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Downtown Nature

Yesterday I spent the afternoon wandering through Ulsan Grand Park, a large park in the center of the city. It is a slightly surreal experience to walk off the street near one of the busiest rotaries in Ulsan (Gongeuptap):














and suddenly find myself on hiking paths reminiscent of the trails out in Cheonsang:














I visited Ulsan Grand Park on my first day in the city, but I didn't have my camera then, as it was stranded along with my bags in Incheon. The park is so large that I imagine I could visit it ten times and never walk the same paths. Here are some of my favorite pictures from the day.

This building is picturesque, in a stereotypically Asian sort of way:














Here is a view of Samsandong (a.ka. "Three Mountains Town" a.k.a. "New Downtown") from a ridge in the park:














And finally, a close-up of a sculpture of a Korean soldier in the throes of death that adorns a Korean War Memorial:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home