An American in Ulsan

An electronic account of the life and times of the author as EFL instructor outside of Ulsan, South Korea.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Irresponsible Purchases

As some of you may recall, the last time I was in Seoul I visited the DMZ, where among other things I found some merchandise from across the border in North Korea. There are a few products that North Korea exports into the south, but the only ones that I am aware of are alcohol-related. This particular one is Korean brandy, which I picked up at the train station that could potentially link the South to the North someday. It cost only 9,000 won and it didn't taste especially good, but I was so enraptured with the idea of consuming something from North Korea that I didn't really care. Now, I see that not only was that instinct motivated from a very bad place, mainly a part of me that still sees North Korea as some sort of exotic, secret land in the "East," but perhaps even worse is that I have no idea where the money from my purchase ended up. Most likely, as with just about everything else in North Korea, the money somehow ended up in the hands of the State, a.k.a. Kim Jong Il. The North Korean State is certainly something I do not want to support. The situation in North Korea does get a little bit more attention these days because of its "Axis of Evil" claim to fame and the giant, mushroom-shaped elephant in the room, but I really don't think that anyone except North Koreans themselves have any idea how bad it actually is. Whatever we imagine it is like there, I imagine it is probably one hundred times worse. There are a few good documentaries that have been made about the current situation, one of which I saw last weekend. It included footage shot clandestinely in the North by a defector who routinely crosses the border and smuggles film out in order to bring more attention to the plight of his people (talk about dedication). It was eye-opening even for me, who thought I had a pretty good idea of how bad things were there. At any rate, the idea of consuming something seemingly "taboo" like North Korean brandy doesn't seem worth it to me anymore.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got to see one of the docs. I just wish the younger generations here in South Korea could see the truth, and not the politically correct nonsense that is being placed in these, now, fictionalized accounts (textbooks) of the past just to keep in the regime to the North's good graces.

I saw one documentary where a mother told her starving children to eat her body after the kids were about to be forced to stone her to death in a prison camp. It made me sick to my stomach that this is going on in the world today, yet no large group is complaining. I would think anyone who uses the term holocaust would be up in arms over what is happening in N. Korea and Darfur. It's the NIMBY mentality--it's not happening in my back yard.

Then you watch those who escaped across the border having such a hard time fitting into a technological world after living in such primative conditions, or treated poorly by South Koreans because their dialect and more limited vocabulary gives away their status here in the South.

I wish I had some answers and the power to do something about this crime against humanity.

9/18/2007 11:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GAH!!! The tree is gone!!!!

Omg Sangjae would die. You know he had to carry that heavy thing and have it in his car and all? hahahaha and that other plant is really tall! Whoo!

-jess

9/21/2007 02:17:00 PM  
Blogger TSF in Ulsan said...

*Gulp*! Sorry Jessica! After you left my lack of responsibility led to me letting ALL of the plants die, except Melissa's present which really can't die anyway. So I had to commit arborcide and get rid of the tree. Don't tell Sangjae! Also, cool that you noticed that from the picture, which had nothing to do with the plants, hahaha!

9/22/2007 06:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home