An American in Ulsan

An electronic account of the life and times of the author as EFL instructor outside of Ulsan, South Korea.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Quirks Part V

This one I can honestly say I had never seen before, and it ties in with some of the local flavor so I've decided to include it here. This is a picture of the controls on the fan in my bedroom (sorry for the poor quality):














The bottom dial controls the strength on the fan, and the top dial is a timer that automatically shuts the fan off after a specified period of time. Why is there a need for the top dial? It speaks to something called "fan death," which is apparently a widespread notion in Korea. I hesitate to call it a superstition, and fear and belief are a bit too strong. Basically, "fan death" is the notion that if one leaves the fan on for a prolonged period of time (especially overnight) in an enclosed space (bedroom, car, etc.), then death could result from hypothermia or suffocation. I am told that every year there are a few reports on the news of people who succumbed to fan death, certainly a tragic ending. Follow the links for more than you'd ever want to know about it.

Today also marks my one-month anniversary in Korea, although it feels like it's been much longer, I think because I settled into a routine so quickly.

Also, this is the worst news I've heard all week (but I'll say more about it an upcoming baseball post).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home