An American in Ulsan

An electronic account of the life and times of the author as EFL instructor outside of Ulsan, South Korea.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

R.I.P. Kurt Vonnegut

Once again it is time to eulogize one of the greatest figures of modern literature. I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I am not as familiar with Vonnegut's work as I wish I was. The only one of his works I've read in its entirety is "Slaughterhouse Five," which I thoroughly enjoyed, but my knowledge of Vonnegut does not go much further beyond that. It is unfortunate because I am aware that he is widely considered one of the geniuses of American literature and I have always meant to read more; perhaps his death will be a wake call for me. Salman Rushdie once wrote of Vonnegut, "He is the only important and original writer in the world whose entire oeuvre can be summed up in three words: 'So it goes.'" Here is a link to a BBC obituary that I enjoyed, especially the final quote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home