An American in Ulsan

An electronic account of the life and times of the author as EFL instructor outside of Ulsan, South Korea.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Ess-Board

Last weekend, I moved one step closer to being able to relate to my students on their level by learning how to "Ess-board." The Ess-board is extremely popular with Korean children, and some adults also use it as an exercise tool. It's a little bit like a skateboard, a surfboard, and a snowboard combined (none of which I've ever ridden before), and yet it's completely unlike any of those things. A Korean company, Decolee, began marketing the Ess-board to the growing customer base of the Korean leisure industry in 2003-2004. However, it's originality is questionable as it is remarkably similar to the Wave Board and the Ripstik caster board, both of which may or may not have been developed before the Ess-board, it's difficult to determine which came first. Essentially, all three consist of two oval shaped platforms connected by a shaft in the middle. The two platforms can move independently of each other and pivot back and forth along the shaft's axis. Each platform has one wheel attached to the bottom of it, which can also pivot 360 degrees. The rider's momentum is maintained by twisting the platforms back and forth with one's feet. It's actually much more of a workout than it seems! One of my waygukin friends, who is still a child at heart, purchased one about a month ago (at 150,000 won they aren't exactly cheap) and has been learning to ride ever since. He was gracious enough to give me a lesson, and although my first few attempts were failures I soon got the hang of it. It's definitely a lot of fun, and I can't understand how it hasn't taken off all over the States, except that the skateboarding industry is probably actively working to suppress it's introduction. I can't do any tricks, but I can make a complete circuit of the exercise track in Daundong, where my friend lives, which is an accomplishment as far as I'm concerned.




Apparently, the Dutch are avid Ess-board enthusiasts as well and have been developing all sorts of new tricks. Here's a promo video for a Dutch Ess-boarding collective.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog and thought that this info. may appeal to you or some of your friends.

It's for The Amazing Race Asia. Here is the link to the application: http://amazing-race-asia.axn-asia.com/season2/

The first 3 episodes can be seen streaming here: http://www.fanpop.com/spots/the-amazing-race/videos/19028

You are working in an Asian country, you speak English, and have an affinity for travel. All you need is a partner. To have a better chance, the producers seem to like the teams to be of different cultures/races to really stand out.

The winners only get $100,000 U.S., but a big part of it is the experience. If you get eliminated early, you spend the rest of the time at a 5-star resort. I think that you could get out of your contract for this b/c of the exposure it could bring to your background, and any school you work for, by showcasing the need for being able to speak more than one language.

As for myself, my prospective teammates keep dropping out like crazy. It is a month of their time off from work, and they are very image oriented here and don't want to look bad on television. Also, two of my choices have now left South Korea to further their English educations abroad. So, I doubt I will find anyone who I can click with and shoot the application footage by April 13th.

Later,

John from Daejeon

4/02/2007 09:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home