An American in Ulsan

An electronic account of the life and times of the author as EFL instructor outside of Ulsan, South Korea.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Intellectual Satisfaction

Yesterday I visited Busan with Jessica and Melissa and was led to an English language bookstore by Melissa's friend and fellow Brisbaner, Hugh, where I happened upon an anthology of journal articles written by anthropologists of Korea, mostly Koreans with a few foreigners thrown in the mix. I am sorely lacking in sources of intellectual stimulation, especially on the anthropology side of things, so needless to say I was in heaven and immediately purchased the book. It was compiled under the direction of Prof. Han Kyung-koo of Seoul National University from articles published in the Korea Journal, a social science publication produced by the Korean National Commission for UNESCO. Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about the Korea Journal, and even though their stated intention (to fill a "need for a forum to to bridge the gaps between Korean and non-Korean scholars, to make a space for a multiplicity of voices, and to promote an interdisciplinary academic approach to Korean studies") sounds all well and good, its association with the UN makes me worry that it may be a relatively "conservative" journal by anthropological standards. My cursory search of the Korea Journal website gives me the impression that my fears are completely mislaid, but I am still curious as to where it falls on the spectrum of social science journals dedicated to Korea. If there is anyone out there reading this who is familiar with the Korea Journal or knows of some alternative academic resources about Korean anthropology, any advice would be much appreciated.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, happenly visited your blog.
and i would like to link your post (cuttent and coming..) , in my website if you are okay... awaiting your kind reply ..once you see this note ^^ , my website is http://cafe.naver.com/world4u . i would like to make this place for the place for foreigners and koreans ...friendship ..^^ could you please help me , if possible ?? ^^

2/22/2007 01:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home