An American in Ulsan

An electronic account of the life and times of the author as EFL instructor outside of Ulsan, South Korea.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Check Out the View!

With the arrival of my second bag yesterday, and the digital camera contained within, I am finally able to post some pictures of my new environs!

I don't know the exact names of these mountains, but I am told that they are the beginning of what the Koreans call the "Yeongnam Alps." This is the view I wake up to every morning, directly off of my balcony:














Today, the sky is a little too hazy to truly appreciate them. They are especially beautiful when the early morning mists are hanging low over the feet of the mountains. I'll try to get a picture of that scene and post it soon.

Directly to the right of this view is what a lot of the rest of Cheonsang looks like:














As you can see, I live on the top (20th) floor of one of these high-rise apartment buildings that dot the Korean cityscapes, aptly named "Highvil." The majority of the Korean population live in apartments like these. How else to fit 50 million people into a nation only slightly bigger than Maine? Once again, portions of Invisible Cities comes to mind.

And here is what the interior of the apartment looks like:














(Living room)














(Kitchen)
It's definetely a step up from my monastic cell at Chicago, and although I think it's a little smaller than my flat on Jugoslavska in Vinohrady, it's much cleaner and quieter. Next time, pictures of "downtown" Cheonsang (it's all downtown, but whatever...).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a good apartment

5/08/2008 07:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home