An American in Ulsan

An electronic account of the life and times of the author as EFL instructor outside of Ulsan, South Korea.

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Ego Boosters

In my experience thus far, being a (white*) foreigner in Korea frequently seems to invite compliments about one's appearance. One of the first things my director said to me when I got off the plane was, "Oh, you are so handsome." Since then, I have been called "handsome" by Koreans, men and women alike, more times than I can count (and just to clarify things, it's not like I'll be winning any beauty contests anytime soon). Often, I think that they say this because they simply want to compliment me in some way and not because I measure up to any standard of beauty that exists here. I know that the Korean language is structured in such a way that the speaker must humble him or herself and exalt their conversation partner, and I feel like these compliments play into that social schema somehow. If that is the case, then I imagine I am either supposed to reciprocate or engage in some sort of self-denigration, but usually I just blush. At any rate, it can be quite an ego booster sometimes. Case in point: my trip to the Cheonsang Lotteria yesterday. As soon as I stepped up to the counter to place my order, one of the girls working that shift exclaimed in broken English, "Oooh! You so handsome! Just my style." Later, as I was eating my burger and fries, she brought over a handwritten note, saying "Hey handsome guy, I write this for you." It reads: "Hi~ You handsome guy! You very good. You best. Oh~ ^^ I'm happy! (drawn smiley face) P.S. You smile very good." I chuckled and said thank you. Sadly, I'm not at all interested in her, but it's the thought that counts, right?

(*I say "white foreigner" because I'm not sure if this is the case for non-white wayguks. I have a sneaking suspicion that racial prejudice runs deep in some people here and I wonder how accepting they are of non-whites, especially the ones who even give white foreigners a hard time. I have been told that it is more difficult for non-whites to get teaching jobs here. I've been meaning to do a post on the issue of white privilege in EFL jobs and perhaps I will sometime; it seems to me to be an important and extremely problematic part of this experience and one that I would like to explore further.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

god this is so funny. what you said is definitly true. im Korean live in Ulsan. i came here by an accident but it was an good accident. i was so surprised(or stunned) when i found a word Ulsan which is so familiar to me. gosh i love your site. dis' so interesting. are you an english teacher? well, im sure you will love Koreans. sometimes they're rude('specially for some americans) but basically they're kind for foreigners anyway. well, wish you have a good time in Korea. good luck:)

12/12/2006 09:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home